Welcome to the writing portion of my website! This is a fairly comprehensive look at all current projects I’m working on, any accolades I’ve gotten, and my writing history.
I was a runner-up in the first Fictuary Monthly Short Story Contest for the short romantic comedy “The Problem with Poplars,” which appeared in the July 2015 edition.
The Fituary Team added, “Our panel of judges really enjoyed your story and felt that you put a lot of effort into your submission. We loved the hilarious, obstinate, strong, and yet sensitive nature of your main character. We also enjoyed the humorous series of events that led to her eventual acceptance of her new boss (or future friend or lover?). Your story was one of the few pieces in the competition that made us laugh! Thank you for that.
We here at Fictuary appreciate your contribution to our reading/writing community. Although there was stiff competition, your writing stood out at the top of our rating system. We feel that you have a lot of potential and we hope to see more of your wonderful writing in the future.”
Sadly, Fictuary no longer seems to exist. It was fun while it lasted.
I am a highly organized and creative writer with over 20 years’ experience in writing, editing, and proofreading. My work has appeared in numerous employee publications and online sites.
Inside Seneca Magazine, Freelance Writer, Summer 2017
- Two article for this edition: “Falling Into a Niagara Summer” and a piece about local transportation for tourists around Niagara Falls.
LoveToKnow, Freelance Writer, July 2016 – Present
- I write articles for the website ranging from travel to pets to writing tips. Find my submissions here.
North Tonawanda Writers’ Group, North Tonawanda, NY, April 2016 – Present
- Co-facilitator for the bi-monthly adult writers’ critique and discussion group.
The Cruise Web, Inc., Freelance Travel Writer, Calverton, MD, January 2016 – Present
- Write copy for the company’s website that includes an overview paragraph for each cruise port of call highlighting culture, activities, history, and geography; also includes has a bulleted list of the top four activities or sites to visit at each port, such as this entry for Arnhem in The Netherlands.
Better Beans Coffee Clubs, Buffalo, NY, November 2015 – Present
- Created blog for the company’s website, focusing on education, roaster of the month features, and product reviews.
Aural Stage Studios, Buffalo, NY August 2015 – Present
- Marketing and Social Media Director: Contributions to the Aural Stage Facebook page, Aural Stage Instagram page, and Otherworldlies Twitter page.
MapQuest/AOL/Parachute, Travel Writer, May 2015 – Present
- Freelance articles focusing on to Western New York and southern Ontario. Links to my articles can be found here.
Cyber Cartel, Amherst, NY July 2013 – Present
- Product titles and descriptions for online retail jewelry site BodyCandy
- Create short and long ads for Facebook, Google+, and YouTube
- Wrote copy for Google Play app
- Create text for twice-weekly emailed newsletter
- Create website and newsletter content for Jackpot Candles product line
- Blog posts for both BodyCandy and Jackpot Candles
- Product info label for Feu Du Monde candle line
A sample of portfolio pieces (more available upon request), which includes product descriptions, newsletters, and Google+ posts.
Copy for pop culture dog tag necklace (click to enlarge and read copy):
Google+ posts to engage further with subscribers (click to enlarge):
Product Label for new Feu Du Monde candles (click to enlarge):
Newsletter copy for BodyCandy:
BodyCandy Fall Newsletter (Opens as PDF)
Newsletter copy for Jackpot Candles:
Jackpot Newsletter (Opens as PDF)
AAA, Williamsville, NY October 2012 – October 2013
- AAA Associate Connection articles: January, March, July, September, and November 2013 issues, following the career paths of AAA employees; samples included here (all open as PDFs):
- AAA Member Connection article within “6 Road Trips You’ll Love” about the Chautauqua Institution, Summer 2013 issue (print and online)
Univera Healthcare, Williamsville, NY December 2007-August 2011
- Part of committee to create a two-year action plan for sales and marketing of Buffalo-based Medicare Advantage programs
Seevast, Getzville, NY May 2006-June 2007
- Proofread, edited, and created advertising copy for Kanoodle (pay-per-click search-engine links) and Pulse 360 (content-targeted sponsored links) to increase consumer SEO
- Informational passages (approximately 500 words per submission) for Seevast’s blog. Maintained and updated current submissions in addition to ongoing creation of new ones
Fiserv-RSA Solutions, Amherst, NY September 2004-May 2006
- Created/updated Procedures Database for new projects and clients
- Wrote and revised scripts for new and ongoing projects
- Created weekly marketing performance updates and developed job aides for the Relationship Sales team
- Writer and editor for biannual Fiserv Survey: use of approved Fiserv writing style and “robust” language in creating copy. Edited copy of 11 other associates before submission to the corporate office
- Post-phase performance summaries for one of Fiserv’s sister core-processing units
- Newsletter articles on the Annual Holiday Auction and the Fiserv Survey Team
CallTech Communications, Columbus, OH April 2002-February 2004
- Created multiple templates used in customer correspondence
OTHER WRITING CONTRIBUTIONS
- Contribute to ElmwoodWritersGroup Twitter feed
- Submission to Writer’s Digest Short Story Contest (2013)
- Submission to Ladies Home Journal’s “Personal Essay” Contest (2013)
- Creating copy and reviews for a band website (Shadow Prophets in Columbus, OH – 2012)
- Submissions to Real Simple’s “Life Lessons” essay contest (2011 and 2012)
- Participation in the annual National Novel Writing Month (2011)
- Four speeches for Cornell’s “Dynamic Presentation Skills” class (2005)
- Submission for National Public Radio’s “This I Believe” series (2005)
- Publicity Director, Muscular Dystrophy Association’s annual “Superdance” at SUNY Fredonia (1988-89)
- Created advertising and publicity copy for the University of Rochester Committee on Performing Arts production of Ten Little Indians (1987)
- Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Browsers such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox
- Navigation of social network sites, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Google +, and Twitter
- Voice over work for audio books and online dramas
State University of New York at Fredonia (cum laude); BA English (Concentration in Journalism/PR and minor in Creative Writing), 1990
Feel free to drop me a line through the form below!